Some of the world’s smallest countries by area only have about two hundred square miles, some even less. When you combine their total area, they would only just be a bit larger than some of the states in the US.
List of Small Countries in the World
1. Andorra – Topping the list is this country which is officially known as the Principality of Andorra and also sometimes referred to as the Principality of the Valleys of Andorra.
Covering a total area of only one hundred and eighty-one square miles or about four hundred and sixty-eight square kilometers.
It has an estimated population of only eighty-four thousand people. This charming country is actually a popular holiday destination, with its magnificent mountains and beautiful landscapes.
2. Antigua and Barbuda – This twin island-nation is bordered by the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Its total area is pegged at only one hundred and seventy square miles or roughly about four hundred and forty square kilometers.
It has an estimated population of eighty-six thousand seven hundred and fifty-four.
3. Barbados – This island-nation of the Lesser Antilles only covers one hundred and sixty-six square miles of total area or around four hundred and thirty-one square kilometers.
It has an estimated population of about two hundred eighty-four thousand five hundred and eighty-nine.
4. Grenada – This island-nation is situated in the northwestern parts of Trinidad and Tobago. It has a total area of approximately one hundred and thirty-three square miles. This size is equivalent to three hundred and forty-four in square kilometers.
5. Lichtenstein – Officially called the Principality of Lichtenstein, this country is situated west of Europe. Bordering Lichtenstein are Switzerland and Austria.
Its total area is approximately sixty-two square miles or about one hundred and sixty square kilometers.
It has an estimated population of thirty-five thousand seven hundred and eighty-nine.
6. Maldives – Formally known as the Republic of Maldives, this island-nation has a total area of one hundred and fifteen square miles or roughly about two hundred and eighty-nine square kilometers.
Its estimated population as of 2010 is three hundred and ninety-six thousand three hundred and thirty-four.
7. Malta – This country is formally known as the Republic of Malta. It has a total area of one hundred and twenty-one square miles. This is around three hundred and sixteen square kilometers.
Located in the southern parts of Europe, it has an estimated population of four hundred twelve thousand nine hundred and sixty-six.
With an area this small and a population this much, Malta is one of the countries with a high population density.